What is it?
The Cricut (pronounced like the insect) is an electronic cutting and drawing machine. Designs created on a computer using Cricut Design Space can be cut or drawn onto material such as paper, cardstock, and vinyl. The Cricut can be used to create a variety of projects including custom t-shirts, signs, greeting cards, stickers, and so much more!
What can I do?
- Visit the Cricut Official YouTube Page to search for your next project
- Get project inspiration from Cricut's Project Page
- Explore Creativebug for Cricut project tutorials using your Algonquin Library Card
What does the Makerspace provide?
- Cricut Explore Air 2
- 12"x12" cutting mats (light grip, standard grip, strong grip)
- fine point blade
- deep cut blade
- scoring stylus
- scoring wheel
- Cricut basic tool set (spatula, weeding tool, scraper, tweezers)
- Cricut fine point pens
- heat press with teflon sheets
How do I use it?
If you would like to set up a 1 on 1 appointment to learn how to use the Cricut, follow the steps below:
- Fill out the 1 on 1 Appointment Request Form or call the Makerspace at 847-458-6060 option 7 to set up a one hour appointment.
- Before your appointment, get started by creating a Cricut account.
- Let us know if you will be bringing your own laptop or if you would like us to provide one for you. If choosing to bring your own laptop, download the Cricut Design Space software on your computer before your appointment (choose "Cricut Explore Family" when selecting a machine).
If you are already familiar with using a Cricut machine, call or email us to set up a time to reserve the machine!
If you want to get started on the Cricut from home, check out a Cricut machine from our Library of Things!
What materials can I use?
What do I need to bring?
You may provide your own material for use with the Cricut with approval from Makerspace Staff. The Makerspace also sells some materials for purchase. View the price list
Material must fit on a 12"x12" cutting mat.
Common materials include:
- sticker paper
- heat transfer vinyl (HTV)
- infusible ink transfer sheets
- Cricut brand pens and markers
Tips and Tricks....
- Be prepared to spend more time than expected on any given project. Crafting takes time!
- Bring extra materials for practice and mistakes.
- We will always do our best to help you with your project but cannot guarantee success.