What is a Silhouette?
The Silhouette is an electronic cutting and drawing machine. Designs created on a computer using Silhouette Studio can be cut or drawn onto material such as paper, cardstock, vinyl, and fabric. The Silhouette can be used to create signs, custom t-shirts, greeting cards, and so much more!
What can I do?
- Visit the Silhouette School Page
- Get project inspiration from Silhouette Design Store
- Explore Creativebug for tutorials using your Algonquin Library Card
What does the Makerspace provide?
- Silhouette 3
- Silhouette 4
- 12"x12" cutting mats (light grip, standard grip, strong grip)
- ratchet blade
- kraft blade
- deep cut blade
- weeding tools
- pen holder
- heat press with teflon sheets
How can I use it?
If you would like to set up a 1 on 1 appointment to learn how to use the Silhouette, follow the steps below:
- Call the Makerspace at 847-458-6060 option 7 to set up a one hour appointment.
- Before your appointment, get started by downloading the Silhouette Studio software on your computer. Providing your own laptop is recommended but not required.
If you are already familiar with using a Silhouette, give us a call and set up a time to reserve the machine!
What materials can I use?
You may provide your own material for use with the Silhouette as approved by Makerspace Staff. The Makerspace also sells some material for purchase. View the price list.
Material must fit on a 12"x12" cutting mat.
Common materials include:
- heat transfer vinyl
- infusible ink transfer sheets
- pens and markers